Sunday, April 13, 2014

Phyllis Lindberg Memorial Hike in West Fork and a Difficult Week with the Coconino National Forest Administration



We went to West Fork today and saw apple blossoms, vibrant spring green foliage, and many wildflowers. The entire time I was there I thought of my friend and fellow hiker and librarian Phyllis Lindberg who was killed by a tree falling last Fall on a sunny windless day. Phyllis always had time to educate you about many things and she had so much knowledge to share especially about the natural world. She was and is an inspiration to try and emulate. Wildflowers were a special topic for her and I saw so many beautiful flowers along the way, some I knew like white violets, columbine, and lupines and many I didn't, but she would have known the names of all of them and had interesting stories to tell.

It was so healing to the soul to be out in nature as we had an awful week which has put a large damper on our enjoyment of Sedona. Rather than rehash most of the issue, I will direct you to this blog post of Michael's which he wrote the last day of our Paint Sedona program:llocked out of the National Forest I just want to add that the students are the losers in this situation since alternative privately owned locations do not have the infrastructure that we have all PAID for with the Red Rock Pass Program: parking, pit toilets, a trail to discover the scenery of our grand public lands, and the right to be there all day if you want.







kaleidoscope of image above


kaleidoscope of unfurling fern and pine needles


This is my last blog before we set off for a retreat in Zion National Park and points east.  No instruction for Michael, just painting, bliss for him and hiking and photography for me!  Campobello Island here we come!  Home never seemed so alluring as the crowds are too large for us here starting in March  and April...  Winter is wonderful though.  My favorite month here is January!






    


No comments:

Post a Comment